And 5 Best Questions to Land Your Perfect Bottle
By: Elisabeth Beemer for Marczyk Fine Wines
It’s Friday. TGIF! But it has been a long week and the last thing you want to do is wander the aisles of a wine shop trying to make a decision. You’ve made enough this week. If only your new favorite bottle would just fly off the shelf and into your hands…
Since wine doesn’t have wings, let’s give you some wine purchasing wings. Wait, what? Here’s the 5 best questions to ask yourself so as to coax that perfect bottle off of the shelf and on to your counter.
1) What do you normally like to drink? What bottle have you recently enjoyed? If employees are worth their salt, they should be able to give you an idea of something that would be comparable (or better) than that La Crema you just had.
2) Is it something that you’re having with dinner? Let employees in on your dinner plans. It doesn’t matter if you’re having filet mignon or frozen pizza, there will be a wine to pair splendidly with it. Really.
3) Following that: What’s the occasion? Is it book club with the gals? A wine to go with the newest action flick? Just want a non-fussy Tuesday night red? Those kinds of questions will inspire employees to find bottles they’d drink for such an occasion.
4) What are you feeling like? You know more about what you want than you think. Red, white, bubbles, rose? Something big or something light? Something dry or something a little sweet? Something from Europe or something from elsewhere? Even answers to two of these questions should land you a bottle you’ll enjoy.
5) What is the wine staff loving right now? If you’re up for anything, ask an employee what wine they’ve had at such and such price point and are digging right now. You’re bound to get something exciting from a passionate person who’s probably tried everything in that darn store.
Remember: Wine staff are nerds. Most of the time they relish your questions because they like the opportunity to wax poetic about the juice they love. So get on in there, ask, and get out!Tags: 5280 top wine store denver, Marczyk Fine Wines, wine denver, wine store best service denver | 20 Comments »
Our friend Kendra, aka Swirl Girl recently hit the Pinot Noir Saloon with the infamous Pinot Posse. She had great things to say about some of the pinots we carry. August West Pinot was the runaway hit of the American Wine Society tasting. It’s big, and straight up delicious. $41.99. Keep it in mind for Valentine’s Day!Tags: August west, Marczyk Fine Wines, Pinot posse denver, Swirl Girl, Westword | 5 Comments »
What fun to taste our wines of the month! Last week’s big hit: the Morse Code Shiraz. This Australian beauty is big, fruity and rich. Winter wine! For more wines of the month go to our website. And for pictures of our free Friday Night Wine Tasting check out our wine facebook page.Tags: Denver wine tastings, Free wine tastings, Marczyk Fine Wine, Morse Code Shiraz denver, wine tastings denver | 165 Comments »