Late August News
"Summer's lease hath all too short a date."
- William Shakespeare
Produce. Fresh is Best.
It’s August, and we’ve got corn. We drive to Boulder weekly and bring back bushels of just-picked corn from Munson Farms on Valmont Road. Pesticide free, sweet and delicious, get it while it’s fresh! 4 ears for $2.00 (PS same price as 4 years ago!)
Berry Patch Farm in Brighton is delivering beautiful and unusual fresh produce.
- Purple peppers. Eat the rainbow!
- Galia melon. A bright green-fleshed sweet melon which is a cross between honey dew and cantaloupe.
- Lemon cukes. A mild little round yellow cuke.
Elaine Granata, gardens in a plot at 17thand Clarkson. She brings us:
- Baby eggplant. So easy as little appetizers: slice down the middle, sauté in olive oil and sprinkle with fresh herbs.
- Fresh picked basil, fragrant and beautiful. It’s time to make and freeze pesto for quick fall dinners after school starts. Basil, pine nuts, good olive oil, and Parmesan.
Ela Peaches. Juicy, delicious, organic, Colorado…four fine reasons to buy these by the bushel. Or the case,
Try these recipes at home:
- Pancetta wrapped peaches, mozzarella, basil, and a balsamic reduction.
- Peaches with smoked chèvre, mint, and touch of vinegar.
- Market-made peach salsa for your grilled fish or pork chop.
- Broiled sugared peaches with Crème Anglaise.
Meat and Seafood. The Truth is in the Taste.
- Stuffed Clams. Again, can you tell we have a new staffer from MA? Traditional blend of herbs, spices, veggies, cheeses, and diced clams.$11.99/6 pk.
- Cerviche. Classic and cold. Fish, lime, jalapeños, red peppers, and flavor. $19.99/lb, comes out to about $8 a serving.
- New! Korean BBQ marinated pork stir fry. Broccoli, onions, red pepper, zucchini, and herbs. $8.99/lb.
- Country style pork ribs with Grill Boss rub. Smoke ‘em if you’ve got ‘em. Best deal in the case. $6.99/lb.
- Pedro’s Tenders. New customer fave! Looks like a tenderloin, but cut from the flavorful Pedro steak which makes it a killer deal. Here is a great way to give our Niman Ranch meats a try. $8.99/lb.
- Coho salmon. It’s still the season. Quite high in fat, which means flavor. $13.99/lb, a great price.
- Flying Sailfish. Fresh this Friday. Coming from Hawaii, great on the grill with that peach salsa…
Grocery. Not everything, just everything you need.
Strawberry honey Greek yogurt. For now just at the Colfax store, they have lots of kids there!
Sweet Action Ice Cream Sandwiches. Uncle. It is hot out, so let these great sandwich combos cool you down.
- Lemon cookie with ginger ice cream.
- Peanut butter cookie with chocolate ice cream. And more!