Bacon au Gratin Potatoes
3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8” thick
1 pint milk
1 pint heavy cream
½ tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon nutmeg
6 ounces Emmental cheese, grated
4 ounces Parmesan, grated
½ pound bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
3 ounces breadcrumbs
1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced thin
1 tablespoon paprika
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Place potatoes in a large saucepan with cold milk and bring to a boil.
3. Meanwhile, heat heavy cream in a separate pan with salt, pepper and nutmeg, being careful not to scorch.
4. Add the mixture to the potatoes and milk, reduce to simmer, stir gently, and cook until milk and cream are thickened and potatoes are fork-tested tender.
5. Put one layer of potatoes into a greased one quart casserole dish. (You’ll have three layers total).
6. Sprinkle the two cheeses over the top of the first layer and 1/3 of the crumbled bacon. Layer potatoes, cheeses, and bacon again. Add the last layer, pour any leftover cream sauce on top, place the onions, bread crumbs, and paprika on top, and bake, loosely covered with foil, in 350-degree oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil and cook another 15 minutes to brown.